AFI FEST 2022, a hybrid festival, scheduled for November 2-6, will feature both in-person screenings and events in Los Angeles, CA, as well as virtual screenings, showcasing transformative stories from groundbreaking artists. AFI FEST is the longest-running international film festival in Los Angeles.
Each fall, AFI FEST presents the year's most significant films. Kicking off the awards season each year, AFI FEST offers a crucial avenue of exposure to the entertainment community. Featuring international work from emerging filmmakers, global showcases of films from the great masters, tributes and red-carpet gala premieres, AFI FEST brings the very best of world cinema to the city of Los Angeles, the film capital of the world. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recognizes AFI FEST as a qualifying festival for the Short Films category of the annual Academy Awards.
In 2021, AFI FEST presented 119 films from 53 countries - 51% directed by women – with in-person screenings in the heart of Hollywood and select virtual screenings available for a national audience.
Program highlights from AFI FEST 2021 include the Opening Night World Premiere of tick, tick…BOOM!; World Premieres of Halle Berry’s directorial debut BRUISED, SING 2 and SWAN SONG starring Mahershala Ali; Red Carpet Premiers of KING RICHARD directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and starring Will Smith, Pedro Almodóvar’s PARALLEL MOTHERS and THE POWER OF THE DOG directed by Jane Campion and starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons and Kodi Smit-McPhee; and the Indie Contenders roundtable featuring Caitriona Balfe (BELFAST), Nicolas Cage (PIG), Colman Domingo (ZOLA), Ann Dowd (MASS), Dakota Johnson (THE LOST DAUGHTER) and Simon Rex (RED ROCKET).
AFI FEST winners have consistently been nominated for Academy Awards®, Emmy Awards® and other major recognitions.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recognizes AFI FEST as a qualifying festival for the Short Films category of the annual Academy Awards.
As the only juried competition of the festival, the Grand Jury Award winners for Live Action and Animated Short will be eligible for the 2022 Best Live Action Short and Best Animated Short Academy Awards®.
In addition to the Jury awards, each year, AFI FEST audiences select winners for Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary Feature and Best Short Film.
*As the main slate of features for AFI FEST is non-competitive, the programming team will be selecting features to create a specifically curated international cinema program and not opening up submissions in this category.
* Films that are under 40 minutes are considered Short Films. Films 40 minutes or over are considered Feature Films.
* All films must have been completed on or after November 1, 2021 to be eligible for consideration.
* If the film is in a language other than English, it must be subtitled in English.
* For short films, there is no premiere requirement. Short films are eligible to apply regardless of television broadcast history and online availability. However, short films that have not screened previously in the region may be given priority.
* We welcome submissions via the FilmFreeway secure online screener system only.
* More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form and entry fee.
* Rough cuts and works-in-progress are eligible for entry if the final cut will be available by August 27, 2022. However, please be aware that our programming department may not be able to re-screen your film if you send a final cut after submitting a rough cut. To avoid confusion throughout the screening review process, we would prefer that you only send us ONE version of your film and preferably the final version.
* Previously submitted films will not be accepted unless the film has undergone significant content changes (60% or more) and meets all other submission requirements. Permission to re-apply is required. Please email programming@AFI.com.
* Promotional, instructional or industrial films, and raw documentation of performances are not eligible.
* The entry fee is non-refundable.
* We offer a limited amount of fee waivers each year for AFI Conservatory fellows and AFI FESTIVALS alumni. If you are a member of one of these groups, you can write to programming@AFI.com to request a fee waiver before the final deadline. AFI Conservatory fellows, please include your full name, year of graduation and discipline. AFI FESTIVALS alumni, please include the festival you participated in (AFI FEST or AFI DOCS), your previous film title, your role on the film and year that it was screened at the festival. We are unable to offer any other entry fee waivers at this time.
*Your submission is not complete until you submit your secure online screener.
*All filmmakers will be notified of their status by October 3, 2022 via the submission contact email address. Please keep us informed of any changes regarding your contact information by emailing programming@AFI.com.
*Due to the number of submissions, AFI FEST cannot provide feedback on any entries.
*All film entries selected for the festival grant AFI FEST the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.
*All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
*AFI FEST reserves the right to change any information contained in this document (including festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.
*If your submission is selected to screen in the festival, you will need to provide the following:
• A DCP or final film file upload by the required deadline as specified through contact with our print traffic team. Each filmmaker is responsible for any delivery costs of DCP, including any applicable customs fees. AFI FEST only accommodates return shipping costs after the Festival.
• Press kits, trailers, promotional materials and additional screeners for preview
Note: AFI FEST reserves the right to change any of this information (including festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.
TERMS OF ENTRY
You hereby grant AFI FEST 2022 (“festival”) all rights necessary to exhibit and promote the submitted film at the 2022 festival. You represent that such exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights whatsoever (including copyright, trademark, musical or contract right) of any person or entity. You further represent that you are authorized to submit the submitted film and, if selected, will deliver the DCP or film file to the festival office no later than October 19, 2022. Additionally, you indemnify the festival from any and all claims, demands, losses, costs, damages, and attorney's fee arising out of or in connection with third parties in regards to the screening of said film. Further, you hereby agree that you have read and agree to the General Rules and Regulations for submissions to AFI FEST 2022.